There may be many reasons why you would want to change the name of your in-home wireless network. You may have tons of guests coming over, or you may wish to prevent hackers from creeping into your system. Whatever your reason may be, changing the default SSID or Service Set Identifier of your network is a good idea. Every Spectrum internet subscription comes with a state-of-the-art internet gateway. Once you fire up the equipment, you can use any of the following methods to change Spectrum WiFi name without running into trouble.
Table of Contents
How to Change Spectrum Wifi Name and Password on the Web?
- Find your Spectrum router’s SSID details mentioned on a sticker near the control strip. Note down the IP address, the username, and the password on a piece of paper.
- Open a web browser on your computer, type the IP address in the search bar, and hit enter.
- On the ‘Spectrum WiFi Router’ page, enter the username and password, and log in to your router’s settings.
- Near the top, you will find the ‘Advanced’ option. Click on it. If it is not there, you may skip this step.
- If you have a dual-band router, then click on the frequency of your choice. It could be ‘Wi-Fi 2.4GHz’ or ‘Wi-Fi 5.0’. Otherwise, select the frequency band available.
- Head to the ‘Basic’ tab, where you will see the visible ‘Wi-Fi Network Name (SSID)’ and the ‘Wi-Fi Password’ in the Security Setting.
- Change the SSID. Make sure that it’s not your PII or Personally Identifiable Information.
- Change the password. Keep it at least 8 characters long with numbers and symbols.
- Confirm the changes.
- Hit ‘Apply’ to save.
How to Change Spectrum Wifi Network Name and Password from the Account?
This method is eligible for devices purchased after 2013.
- Open the Spectrum.net website in the browser, and enter your dedicated Spectrum username and password. If you don’t have these credentials, go ahead, and create them.
- Once you successfully login to your Spectrum account, head to the ‘Services’ section.
- Click on the ‘Internet’, and drop down the blue arrow next to the ‘Router’.
- There, select ‘Manage Network’.
- Enter a new network name and password in the given options, and hit ‘Save’ to complete the process.
How to Change Spectrum Wifi Router Name and Password from the App?
- Open the My Spectrum app on your phone. If you don’t have one, download it for free from the iOS or Android play store.
- Sign in with your Spectrum username and password. If you don’t have these credentials, then create them. However, if you don’t remember, then click on ‘Forgot Password’ to retrieve the key, or speak to a Spectrum customer service agent for further details.
- Tap on ‘Services’ near the bottom, and select ‘View & Edit Network Info’.
- Enter the new WiFi network name and password.
- Tap ‘Save’ and you’re done!
How to change Spectrum WiFi SSID name?
You may not have been able to answer this question before, but after reading this post, you can do it in three separate ways!